Maud’s Story – the Life of a Norfolk Trading Wherry
The trustees of Wherry Maud Trust are keen to speak to interested groups in order to:
- increase public awareness of the part Norfolk wherries played in the transport history of the Norfolk and Suffolk Broads
- show how people can get involved in preserving and sailing these boats today
The talk uses up to 50 good quality slides (mostly colour) and lasts approx. 1 hour + time for questions. We will always endeavour to tailor the talk to the interests of our audience on the day.
We can bring a set of information boards with photos illustrating the life of the boat. Those interested can look at the photos at their leisure during the interval or after the talk.
Themes covered by the talk are:
- Introduction – a brief history of the Norfolk Wherry
- Maud’s working life and her owners and skippers
- The rescue of Maud from her watery grave in Ranworth Broad
- Restoration of the boat – it took 18 years to get her sailing again – materials and methods
- Use of the boat post restoration and before the Trust was formed
- Wherry Maud Trust formed in 2015. How it operates + current and future events
Further information can be found on the National Historic Ships website and on Facebook.
|Date||Time||Group Name||Venue Address (in Norfolk/Suffolk unless otherwise stated)||Speaker|
|Mon 8 Nov 2021||2:30||Hadleigh U3A||United Reformed Church, Market Place, Hadleigh, IP7 5DL||Linda Pargeter|
|Wed 17 Nov 2021||11:00||John Lewis Retirement Group||Maids Head, Norwich||Linda Pargeter|
|18 Feb 2022||2:30-4:30||Stanway Evening townswomen’s Guild||venue tba (Stanway, Colchester)||Linda Pargeter|
|16 Mar 2022||8:00pm||Tiptree, Essex, Ladies’ Group||St. Luke’s church extension||Linda Pargeter|
|6 Apr 2022||7:00||Sheringham History Group||Sheringham Museum – to be confirmed||Linda Pargeter|
|6 Oct 2022||Norfolk Military Vehicle Group||to be confirmed||Linda Pargeter|
Non members of the groups listed may be able to attend for a small fee. We suggest contacting the group if you or your friends wish to come along.